Barley is a versatile cereal grain with a rich nutlike flavor and an appealing chewy, pasta-like consistency. Its appearance resembles wheat berries, although it is slightly lighter in color. When fermented, barley is used as an ingredient in beer and other alcoholic beverages.
Barley's claim to nutritional fame is based on its being a very good source of fiber, selenium, phosphorus, copper and manganese. Barley contains all eight essential amino acids. The outer hull must be removed before it can be eaten.
Barley can be classified according to the number of kernel rows in the head. There are primarily two forms: Two-row barley and six-row barley. Two-row is the oldest form and has lower protein content than six-row. A new variety, hulless or naked barley is a genetically improved variety that allows easier removal of the hull. Malting barley is primarily used in the beverage industry for making beer.
Barley is available in the following forms:
- Whole barley: Barley with the inedible hull still intact. This type of barley is sometimes used in feed applications.
- Hulled barley: Barley that has the inedible hull removed and has been thoroughly cleaned. Hulled barley is considered a whole grain and is a popular health food.
- Pearled barley: Hulled barley which has been processed further to remove the bran.
- Barley flakes: The barley kernel that has been steamed, rolled or flaked.
- Barley flour: Ground to a fine consistency, barley flour is used in breads, snacks as well as many prepared foods.
Hesco can provide you with a wide variety of products, including wheat, durum, barley, rye, oats, flax, amaranth, quinoa, millet, sorghum(milo), buckwheat, spelt, triticale, corn, edible beans, fibers, lentils
, and more. If you don't see it listed, please ask!